Matthew integrated his existing client base into Eales & Mackenzie when he joined us in July 2013. He previously worked as a commercial litigator and a general commercial lawyer with the highly regarded 90 year old northern suburbs firm Pearsons Barristers and Solicitors. Matthew has Bachelor’s degrees in Arts, Economics and Laws from Monash University and La Trobe University.
Matthew has extensive experience as a litigator having appeared and instructed in all Victorian Courts and various Tribunals in a broad range of matters including:
- Ownership issues arising out of constructive and/or resulting trusts
- Misleading and deceptive conduct claims in relation to the purchase of property
- Specific performance of contracts of sale of land
- Retail leasing disputes including applications for recovery of possession and recovery of unpaid rent and outgoings
- Mortgage disputes
- Compulsory acquisition of land disputes
- Domestic building dispute for both builders and owners
- Debt collection
- Breach of contract claims including defending and bringing claims for misleading, deceptive and unconscionable conduct and breaches of statutory warranties
- Partnership disputes relating to the division and use of partnership assets after dissolution of the partnership and breaches of fiduciary duties
- Prosecuting and Defending unfair preference claims
- Applications to wind up companies
- Breach of Director duty claims
- Defending and negotiating wind up applications arising out of statutory demands
Matthew also has extensive experience in providing general legal advice and advocacy in relation to corporate structures, retail and commercial leases, commercial transactions employment law.
Away from work Matthew enjoys spending time with his family, keeping a close eye on the form of the Essendon football club and playing soccer.
Areas of practice: property disputes, commercial disputes, corporations law.