At Eales & Mackenzie, we can help you through the the process of obtaining probate with dedication and care throughout the difficult time in your life. We can act on your behalf in submitting an application to the Supreme Court for the grant of probate, and that you as the executor has the lawful right to administer the estate.

At Eales & Mackenzie, we understand that the process of probate and the role required of an executor can be difficult following the death of a loved one, but it is a process that can be made easier through the guidance of an experienced and dedicated lawyer.

Frequently asked questions

My relative has passed away - do I need to obtain a Grant of Probate?

Whether you need to obtain a Grant of Probate is dependent on the circumstances of each estate.  Generally speaking, if the deceased held any assets in their sole name of significant value, then a Grant of Probate will be required.  Furthermore, whilst in general if assets are held jointly a Grant of Probate is not required to deal with the assets, if property is held in a certain manner, a Grant of Probate may still be required in which to deal with that. 

I need to obtain a Grant of Probate - how long does that process take and what should I do first?

Generally speaking the Probate process cannot get underway until you receive an original Death Certificate.Upon receipt of the Death Certificate, an executor must advertise their intention for a minimum period of 2 weeks prior to making any application for a Grant of Probate.During this time, enquiries are made with the various asset holders such as banks, nursing homes and share registries to ascertain values of assets held by the deceased.Once all this information is at hand, the documents for the Grant of Probate can be prepared and the application lodged with the Supreme Court of Victoria.

My relative has passed away but didn’t leave a Will – what should I do?

If a deceased passes away without having drawn a Will then an application must be made to the Supreme Court of Victoria for Letters of Administration.This is similar to a probate application however is made by a person who is generally the next of kin of the deceased.That person then has a responsibility to administer the estate, including making any distribution, in accordance with the laws of intestacy.

Do you need legal advice, or have any questions or queries?
Call us today on: (03) 8621 1000 or use our form to get in touch…